Saturday, September 29, 2012

Freff, Illustrator For Titan By John Varley

CIROCCO JONES BY FREFF

 I find Freff very intriguing and mysterious. I tried looking the name up but as always, the only information I can find is that the artist known as Freff, did all the illustrations on one of my favorite Sience Fiction novels - Titan, written by John Varley.

I must have read this book about 220 times since I first bought a copy at Booksale. And the pleasure of turning pages just to get to the ones where the illustrations appear, is always something to look forward to. No this is not a graphic novel, but I guess John Varley wanted some emphasis on chapters, that although in sparse installments, Freff did some wonderful renditions, that captured one and all events in the story.

I recommend you getting a copy for yourself and read. And If you are as devoted to illustrations as I am, you will find these punctuations in image format are a sight to behold.  Specially when the story gets to the part where Rocky, the main character meets the Titanides, and the Angels. Even the way Varley tells how this world looks and feels, and smells.

These illustrations are well distributed all throughout the book, in just the right places that added to the excitement and drama. There are a few more but these panels will do. 

All done by Freff.
CIROCCO "ROCKY" BY FREFF


ROCKY AWAKENS BY FREFF

TITANIDE BY FREFF

ANGEL BY FREFF




No comments: