Saturday, June 22, 2013

Coffee Break

 Sitting at work, my thoughts just landed on how I should approach my komiks, with the illustrations and inking style. To tell the truth, I have none. My "style" was what remained of the discipline of in-betweening animations cels, and of course, my own love affair with woodcut.


And I seem to always, sketch, and then do a clean up, check the anatomy or the detail, and then do revisions again, and again. Never trusted my own direct approach, a skill I have always envied from a friend, Aries Nario. Still, it was on coffee break that I dared to do something drastic, took an ink pen and just let the hand do the storytelling.

I went where the nib wanted to go. No pencil sketch, just pure instinct. Somewhat surprising, I liked what was finished, after 20 minutes or so.

Found out I could shift from pencil to pen, and it was not so bad afterall.

Still, I have to find my own, so that when the time comes to doing the komiks, I'm confident enough to follow through and finish my first full comics issue of DAIO.

No comments: